Beginner Defensive Handgun Course
This Beginner Defensive Handgun Course is a practical classroom and hands-on program in the effective use of a handgun for personal and home self- defense. NOTE: This or similar course is a prerequisite for participation in Warrior Concepts' Defensive Combat Handgun Level I, II, or Tactical Courses.
This course provides you with the basic information, skills, and lessons needed by the self-defense oriented citizen. This foundational course gives provides you with an overview of the legal, psychological, and practical use issues faced as a result of engaging in armed self-defense. (These topics are covered in much greater details in other Warrior Concepts' Defensive Combat Handgun courses designed for those wanting to progress beyond the basics.)
This 1-day course is perfect for new handgun owners, those thinking about getting a firearm for self-defense, and those who know they need to protect themselves and the importance of being able to use a firearm for self-defense, but who have anxiety issues regarding the weapon.
The course focuses on the fundamental safety, operation, aiming, and shooting skills needed to use a handgun effectively.
- How to choose a handgun for self-defense
- Carrying the weapon
- Myths and Realities regarding firearms
- Laws regarding carry and use in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Gun safety (including: clearing, handling, and misfires)
- Weapon parts and operation
- Loading, Unloading, and reloading
- Basic Live-Fire Target Drills
This course will consist of 3 hours of classroom and “dry” handling and drills, and approximately 2.5 hours of live-fire range time.*
*The course is nominally 6 hours in length, with 2 hours for lunch and travel to the range, but may sometimes run a little run longer depending on attendance and questions.
Next Course Date(s):
Saturday, September 14th, 2019 - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM**
ABOUT THE COURSE INSTRUCTOR
This program was developed by Warrior Concepts founder, Jeffrey M. Miller SPS, DTI. Mr. Miller is an internationally-recognized self-defense expert, speaker, author, and workplace violence consultant. He has taught law enforcement, security, and military professionals, as-well-as private citizens both here and the U.S. as well as in Germany, South Korea, and Canada.
Jeff is a former federal police officer, undercover black market and drug suppression investigator, private detective, and bodyguard, during which time he has worked to protect a former US Secretary of Defense and several international dignitaries, the commanding general during Operation "Urgent Fury" in Grenada, and several members of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders while traveling for the USO. In addition to his local Academy, he also has international students from over a dozen countries through his online training programs, and has helped such organizations as the Geisinger, Nissan North America, Sunbury Textile Mills, and the Keystone Area Girl Scout Council (now Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pa.).
What does this mean for you? Great question. It means that your instructor is not just good with a gun on a shooting range, but has been in the "hot seat," protecting himself and others with the knowledge and skills that he teaches - the same knowledge and skills you're trying to develop to save you and yours if the need ever arises!
Prerequisites: None. A basic familiarization with handguns helpful but NOT REQUIRED to take this course.
Course Completion: Students will receive a Certificate of Training from Warrior Concepts International upon completion of the course.
- 6 hours of course instruction
- Range access and time
- Student materials
- Certificate of Training from Warrior Concepts International
- Complete Liability Waiver prior to the start of course
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to class for check in
- Have everything you need to get started
What to Bring With You:
- Personal Firearm (pistol or revolver)**
- 2 magazines (clips) for pistols or 1 speed loader (optional) for revolvers
- 100 Rounds of ammunition for your weapon's caliber
- ** Hip style holster recommended, but not required.
- ** Notebook HIGHLY recommended, but not required.
** For students who do not have a weapon, one can be arranged for use. You are still responsible for providing the ammunition (usually 9mm).
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION/NOTICES:
- Students under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult participant (ask about family discount for courses)
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to start time to complete registration and check-in
- Students with felony convictions, under psychiatric care, or who appear to be intoxicated, extremely tired, or agitated may not participate
- Students arriving more than 10 minutes after the designated start time may not be allowed into class and will need to reschedule
***Please plan to arrive 15 - 20 min before course start time to complete the necessary check-in process. This will give us time to make sure that everything is in order, or for you to complete necessary forms before the course start time.